Thursday, February 11, 2010

Valentine's Day Preparation

I know, I know, you are going to say, why would I want to cook on Valentine's Day? Right? Well, first of all economics. You can have a tasteful dinner at home for a lot less money. Secondly, and this is probably my biggest complaint is making reservations, waiting, standing in line, more waiting and being around numerous people with which I have absolutely no ties. One of my favorite meals to make for Valentine's Day, kind of staying with the "red" theme, is Windsor Loins. I usually try to watch for the smoked pork chops to go on sale and keep some in the freezer for such an occasion. If you are fortunate enough to have a meat market that will cut the size that you need that is very helpful. I like to get a 10oz. smoked chop because it is thicker and will not dry out. Figure 1 per person plus maybe 2 extras because they are sooooo tastey. These may be grilled or simply heated in the oven on a sheet pan with a 1/2 inch of water in the bottom to keep them moist. Cover with foil. Bake at 350* for approx 30 min. If you are grilling, they just need to be heated because they are already smoked. So, plan your time accordingly.

For the sauce you will need:
1 can cherry pie filling (portion for 4 people)
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 heaping T. margarine
2 tsp. cinnamon

Heat all ingredients on low until ready to serve over the loins. You can put the loins on a platter and portion the cherry sauce on them or put the sauce in a gravy boat and let everyone serve their own cherry sauce. Makes a very nice plate presentation.

For the side dishes I would keep it simple: baked potato or baked sweet potato, fresh steamed broccoli or french style green beans. Let me know how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment